Wednesday, April 16, 2008

So much more than pink.

An extremely talented blogger whose posts I am addicted to wrote today about her friend having a baby girl. As she expressed her own desire to have a baby boy, I was struck by how different people are meant to have different genders.

Jenny Jenny Jen Jen, my best friend, has a wonderful son. He is bright and energetic and smiley, and all covered in boyness. She adores and dotes on him, and when I see how close they are as mother and son, I get a tiny craving for one of my own.

But my daughter…she is the craziest adventure I have ever been on.

When you find out you are having a girl, the first thought that comes to mind is the dresses…ALL THE PRETTY DRESSES!!!...and the hairbows and the ballet slippers, and omigoodnessgracious did you see those polka dot tights and I want to paint big flowers on her walls and call her princess and the pink HOLY CRAP I WANT TO DROWN IN PINK!!!!

There is so much more than that, though.

There is the first moment you realize she can stand up for herself, and you have a surge of pride, and a quell of hopefulness that maybe, just maybe, she will keep that through her life, and never have to deal with the abuse so many women do.

There is that moment when she grabs your make-up brush and uses it correctly and you realize she has been watching you, every minute, and wanting to be just like her mama.

And the moment when she exhibits that streak of independence, and you know that when the time comes, she will be able to take care of herself.

And the dancing. I love LOVE the dancing…

This girl…she is the light of my life. I have no doubt that I was meant to mother a daughter. The intricacies of womanhood, the adventures and power that come from your sheer femaleness…there are so many things I can’t wait to teach her.

My girl…she is amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I was pregnant I decided I wanted all boys. I am one of four girls and we definitely gave our parents a run for their money. As soon as I had Eliana I changed my mind. All I want is a house full of girls (ok, maybe just 3) just like her.

ihearthayden said...

Becca, you are a beautiful mother. The way you are so attentive to Violet makes me green with envy. You know her preferances, her needs, and her personality better than she does. I wish I was that kind of Mom. I wish I had the patience to spend the evenings after a long day at work teaching my child to say whats on his mind the way you do with her. I do think God gave you what you needed, and I know he has more good things in store. Use a little of that patience to keep your faith strong, and always remember that I could never repect you more. I love you!